Today : 26 June 2019 21:27
Sorry, we are NOT OPEN today
Next open on Saturday 29 June
AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY 25/26TH
FIND OUT MORE....
Blue: museum, cafe and shop open
Green: open + 12.30, 1.30 & 3.30 bus rides
Yellow: main event days, click for more details
White: Museum Closed
A Century of Transport
Follow the links below to look back at the development of buses and commercial vehicles over the 20th century, with an emphasis on the English Midlands.
This does not claim to be a complete history, indeed a vast number of books have been written on the subject. It intends to bring a smile of recognition to the faces of enthusiasts and provide a rough guide to those wishing to learn a bit more. It also offers several points of embarkation for educators; the Museum would be pleased to discuss with teachers their needs.
- Introduction & Early Developments
- 1927-1937: A Decade of Progress
- Second World War & Underfloor Developments
- The Return of Peace - a Drab or Dynamic Time?
- Peace brings boom time for buses
- Styling Developments
- Aftermath of Nationalisation - Who owned the Vehicles?
- Changing Towns and Cities
- Saving Weight and Saving Costs
- Other Design Developments
- Bigger Lorries
- House to House Deliveries
- Badge Engineering!
- Front to Back; A Rear-engined Revolution
- Rear Engines become Standard; Manufacturers Merge and Collapse
- More Recent Design Developments
- Passenger Transport Executives
- Stratford Blue
©Copyright 2019 Malcolm Keeley for the Transport Museum, Chapel Lane, Wythall, Worcestershire B47 6JA, England.
All rights reserved. Except for normal review purposes, no part of these website articles may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system, without the prior written consent of the Transport Museum.
The Transport Museum, Chapel Lane, Wythall, Worcs B47 6JA Tel: 01564 826471 | email firstname.lastname@example.org
TRANSPORT MUSEUM WYTHALL is a registered charity no 1167872